Tuesday 18 October 2011

Work Dayz


After a bit of a rocky, anxiety-ridden start, my internship situation has finally been sorted out and I’m now working a steady 9-5. I’m proudly interning at TEENS Uganda, a pretty sweet organization that deals primarily with youth advocacy and health. They run a Teen Health centre in Kawaala (a tiny suburb of Kampala) on top of spearheading conferences and ‘Think-Tanks’ to encourage youth participation in politics and social change. My internship deals mostly with planning and policy, so I develop proposals and concept notes for whatever initiatives the organization requires funding or partnership with other NGOs.
I
Working hard...hardly working?
My colleague, Notorious P.I.G.
 My first office job. This is not exactly how I imagined my first office though. The wall is spotted with what look scarily like bullet holes, and adjacent to our room is a pig pen housing a very chatty, very pregnant pig. I am however, thoroughly enjoying myself and learning a lot about how African NGOs function. 

This sure beats our Grade 2  Butterfly Unit
Occasionally I accompany the team at the Youth Center on their community outreach  programs to local schools where they give talks about safe sex, HIV/AIDS, hygiene, etc. I'll probably stop doing this, since instead of listening how to use a condom/bathe daily, the kids just end up staring at me and laughing...probably wondering what the Muzungu is doing here, and why she's taking pictures of the cockroach poster.

1 comment: