Saturday 18 February 2012

So long, farewell...

My last stretch in (Ru)ganda was full to the brim with fabulousness. Two weeks ago, a group of interns and I took a bumpy 8 hour bus ride to the western edge of Uganda to stay on the shores of Lake Bunyoni, which true to its reputation as the ‘honeymoon hot-spot of Uganda’, was spectacular.  A Canadian, Brazilian, 2 Dutch, 2 Japanese, and 3 Chinese kids canoed, swam and dived from a tree-top (enema-inducing) diving board into the deepest, and arguably the most beautiful lake in Uganda. 

Hello paradise!
note: canoeing is NOT as easy as it looks in the movies.
The last week at the office was bittersweet. Some difficult goodbyes to be said, but I finally got to do some of the fun things that I’ve been putting off over my five months here: I taught the teens how to tie-dye, they in return taught me how to make traditional Ugandan paper beads, and since TEENS Uganda operates an AIDS clinic, I thought it appropriate to get myself tested for HIV*. 
TEENS Uganda: home of Uganda's wildest.
The next weekend I decided to up the adrenaline factor, and went white water rafting on the Nile in Jinja, which boasts some of the best WWRafting in the world. I’ve never been so terrified and at the same time so exhilarated in my life.  Being thrown out of the raft five times on class five rapids in croc-infested waters was just the thrill I needed to honour my last weekend in Uganda.
You will be sincerely missed, my matooke-ridden nation.

*Negative. Thought I’d leave you hanging there.

3 comments:

  1. You had me worried for a moment there, my dear!

    ...Aufwiedersehen, goodbye :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This is Palwasha, Internships Abroad Director over at http://www.GoOverseas.com. I wanted to share a opportunity to collaborate with our team. As you may know, our website is categorized by Teach, Volunteer, Study, Intern, and Gap Year programs abroad. We feature alumni reviews on every program, and give our users the ability to make informed decisions about going abroad.

    We are currently looking for talented writers to write internship guides for virtually every country and city in the world. It sounds like you have the necessary experience and background to write the Uganda guide, one of the most popular pages on our website.

    Writing these guides is a great way to further establish your authority on a particular country/city, get links to your website, blog, and social media pages, and help other interns on their journey abroad. I will of course send more detailed guidelines to make sure your writing process goes smoothly!

    Let me know if you have any questions at palwasha@gooverseas.com, I look forward to hearing from you.

    Best,
    Palwasha

    Palwasha Khatri
    Internships Abroad Director
    http://www.GoOverseas.com

    Facebook.com/GoOverseas
    Twitter.com/GoOverseas

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete